Sunday 1 March 2009

Stem Cell Transplant - Day Five

There is No Place Like Home !!!!

A great day today! Anti nausea drugs are working well and my Doctor told me my blood counts were still high enough to go out again. So at 10am it was off home to be with my family, what a treat!!

What a difference it makes to be home and with loved ones. Whilst I have a nice room at the hosptital and really cant fault them an anything, they are all truly wonderful, there is no place like home!

Having lost close to another 3 kilos yesterday (its sounds just unbelievable but true) and having eaten virtually nothing due to the nausea the day before my darling Sara's chicken soup was just the thing. A bowl for lunch and dinner was perfect. To spend time just relaxing and chatting and to not be attached to the mobile drip was heaven.

So I am feeling very buoyed and recharged having spent quality time at home. Little Jack (just six months old) remembered his Dad which was nice. I was a little concerned having been away for a week but he welcomed me with a lovely smile and a good scratch to the nose which drew blood just for good measure!

Going back was difficult and I so wanted to stay but was thankful for the time I had. I gave the cabbie a good tip (no it wasnt be kind to your mother and dont talk to strangers) to which he responded 'thanks mate I that will buy my maccers tonight.'

Hopefully I will be able to go home again tomorrow (perhaps even be up for a small serving of a Sunday Roast .. I love that) but guess it will all come down to how I am feeling and my blood count. But feeling very positive and optimistic.

So day five... best day yet!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Keith

    I am a friend of Sara's sister, Anna, and many years ago I played a few games in the 1's with with NHCC including one or 2 against New Town and KB. Anna told me about your illness which shocked me so I was glad to find your blog and find more details. My sister, who lives in a little village out of Cambridge, is currently battling breast cancer so unfortunately I have some window into the emotions. All the best from Melbourne and nothing but a speedy recovery.

    Best wishes

    Ross Clennett

    ReplyDelete