Sunday 8 March 2009

Stem Cell Transplant - Days 11-13


I have have had a very successful few days culminating with the great news that I will be able to go home tomorrow but more of that later.

Day eleven (Friday) once again had me feeling well. My counts had grown again steadily which was good news and came with the promise that I maybe able able to go out on 'day release' Saturday if they continued. The nausea whilst still there was only mild and came in waves which coincided with when the drugs were wearing off and the next set were due. My appetite gradully was returning which funnily enough also coincided with a visit from the catering manager to do a survey. I found that amusing given 1) I was still in isolation and 2) I had been living off virtually nothing for days and if I did eat it was the soup Sara had brought in.

So Friday night I just lived in hope that I could get out for the day to 'smell the roses' and see my family. I wondered if little Jack would remember me.

Fortunately I was allowed out and I have enjoyed two great day visits home. I am still very very tired and as of today bald. My hair continued to fall out at a rate and the patches had started appearing so there was nothing left to do but get it shaved off. I am OK about it but it is a very weird feeling. Jack did recognise me even with a bald head so that was a relief. Sara says I look hot (I think I scare small children and crack mirrors) which was representative of her loving support for me. I couldnt live without her or have gone through this without her by my side. She is amazing.

On the medical front I had a tranfusion of plasma cells on Saturday as my counts were down. They come in a bag and can best be described as looking like chicken soup. They were infused through my Hickman line. I have never had 'someone elses' blood before which brought a mixture of emotions ranging from being incredibly thankful (and thinking people who do that are so brave and wonderful) to feeling a little uncomfortable if I am to be honest. The whole exercise anyway was made 'light' as there was good banter with my nurse that morning Grant who was South African and we watched SA lose numerous wickets in the Test. I managed to get some good sledges in!

I also have a very painful shoulder which is a result of an injection to get the stem cell manufacture working overtime. That was and is unexpected for me and has caused discomfort. I am not complaining however as I still see and hear others around me less fortunate and who have struggled terribly through this process.

So tomorrow is the big day I hope. I will post the 'after' shot of me .... if for nothing else just to prove I am not hot! Also above is my room sign showing my various 'badges'.




No comments:

Post a Comment