Monday 2 March 2009

Stem Cell Transplant - Day Seven

I need to start by admitting a mistake. Whilst my title is 'day seven' (which for me is the 7th day in hospital) it is really 'day five' (based on the date of the stem cell transplant). So to any fellow 'transplantees' who may read this and wonder if and why I am out of sync with the treatment that is why.

Today has been a real mixed bag. My 'count' this morning was 0.2 which now classifies me as neutropenic. I hadn't heard of this term until today but it means I get get a new badge on the door of my room stating this. That is now added to the 'irradiated blood product sign'. I am disappointed not to have had the 'isolation' tag added like others (even though I have been told I am now officially in isolation).

I looked up the term neutropenic which ... quote .. is ... 'Neutropenia (adjective neutropenic), from Latin prefix neutro- and Greek suffix -πενία (deficiency) is a hematological disorder characterized by an abnormally low number of a type of white blood cell called a neutrophil. Neutrophils usually make up 50-70% of circulating white blood cells and serve as the primary defense against infections by destroying bacteria in the blood. Hence, patients with neutropenia are more susceptible to bacterial infections and, without prompt medical attention, the condition may become life-threatening (neutropenic sepsis).'

Whilst that all sounds dramatic the staff here have it all under control and monitor me regularly for temperature rises etc. I am also on antibiotics to fight any suckers that may be attacking me.

Now that I have entered this stage a few changes have occurred. The first and most obvious is that I cannot go out anymore. Sara also has to wear an apron when she visits (and despite the fact it is a disposable plastic apron she still looks like a total spunk!). She is such a strength to me, not just now but always! My diet is also monitored far more closely (despite the fact I cannot stand to look at food at present and am eating less than a mouse). All foods must be fresh which meant the dinner order of a toasted ham and cheese sandwich was cancelled. The good news however was that Sara's magical and delicious soup which she brought to the hospital was OK to eat.

Today has really been characterised by just feeling like crap .... I cant put it more articulately than that. I did receive an intravenous shot of something to help and that did kick in. I am feeling better at present which is such a relief after the day so thought I would type this whilst I have the chance. Dinner will be here soon ... the thought makes my stomach turn but I know I have to force some down no matter how difficult to keep up my strength. I weighed this morning 5 kilos less than check in incidentally.

Is my Mother's birthday today so I will call her this evening. Happy Birthday Mum xxx

Eeeek dinner has arrived... bleck....until tomorrow ... all up a tough day but ok... sorry for the typos as always but I need to focus on the job at hand now.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your Mum! Sorry you are feeling like crap hope tomorrow is a brighter day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just caught this on a link through a google alert. I too have mm. I'm 37 and had a stem cell transplant a year ago and am still in complete remission. Stay strong and keep hope - you'll get through it. I was in the hospital for 20 days due to low counts and thought I would strangle every person around me - especially the poor girl who delivered the food. But believe me, after one day at home it will all seem like a distant memory or bad dream and you will appreciate the fresh air and sunshine even more. I wish you the very best.

    Debbie - Grand Rapids, MI USA

    ReplyDelete