Monday 23 February 2009

Stem Cell Transplant - Day Zero


The 'dreaded' day has finally arrived, 23rd February and time for the hardest part of this journey to begin. I say dreaded which to be quite honest is not the case, I am pleased the day has finally arrived and we can crack on and get it done!


Today is an easy day also. In terms of the medical side today is all about hydration. I am attached to my new best mate (actually he's not new, we've spent a quite a deal of time together in recent weeks) the mobile 'drip' (pictured above). I hate photos of myself but thought let's do a before and after. Also today I have had a briefing from my medical team on what to expect which is ... chemo tomorrow... big dose followed for a few days with nausea and diarrhoea. I am told also to expect a very sore mouth and throat and how important mouth wash etc will be. I must say I have read about this in all the other blogs I have read and not looking forward to that. My stem cells will be returned day three. By this weekend I will probably feel OK but then as the blood count drops I can expect fever and some infection next week.... from there (given I have been so well thus far) it is uphill from there.


It will be interesting to see how closely this all matches. I was given the reality check that I have had a good run thus far and I am entering the unknown with respect to how sick I will feel. OK .. I have been warned so will just hang on, grin and bear it.


The rest of my day has been spent finishing some work, filling out the lunch dinner and breakfast menu and spending some quality time with my goegeous wife Sara. We have a 'doola' (yes doola) looking after Jack each day for a few hours so Sara can come to the hospital and be with me. It was actually a really nice time just hanging out. As parents you so rarely get to spend that quality time. We did manage to have lunch two days in a row late last week which was unheard of so when I get out of here and recover that will be a concerted effort. I love it. We also managed two episodes of the series '24' as we are recent converts. I am sure the box sets will get a caning whilst in hospital. I also have 'Only fools and horses' courtesy of my great mate Kingy, Band Of Brothers on the recommendation of 'Uncle Dave' and have been so grateful of DVD's and books from Nigel and Andy.


As for Lionel/Gillian.. you are both legends... thank you also.


So I am settled in, unpacked and as ready as I will ever be for the next stage. Skype works which is a relief so I can keep in touch with home of an evening plus spend some time speaking with and seeing my darling children in Australia. So far so good.

1 comment:

  1. Keith
    I follow your wife's blog and I wanted to stop by and wish you well. You have a long road ahead of you and an amazing family, I beleive in the power of prayer. Please know our thoughts and prayers are with you. May your strength be strong in the weeks to come. God Bless to you.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete