Sunday 22 February 2009

"I get by with a little help from my friends"


As the song goes never have truer words been spoken. We live just off Abbey Rd so even more appropriate ... as an aside I still get a laugh a recalling the story of Sir Paul McCartney who also lives close by and walks his dog being told by tourists (who did not recognise him) to wait whilst they posed on the zebra crossing!

From the moment I was diagnosed I have had overwhelming and incredible support from my friends, work colllegues, family, MCC and cricket fraternity. I will come to my darling wife in a moment but the support I have received cannot be done justice in words. None so more for example than Geoffrey Boycott the famous English opening batsman. Geoffrey is famous for hisw determined and forthright manner and I am proud tgo say Geoffery has been a great friend from the day I arrived. Geoffery himself was given 5 months to live with cancer and I am pleased to say has beaten it .... (to be honest if anyone can it is Geoffrey). He and Rachel have been a mountain of support. Aside from the regular calls which I can never place a value on Geoffrey put me in touch with Chris Woollams. Chris tragically lost his daughter to cancer and has devoted his life now to research and helping others. Chris helped Geoffrey and also developed a personal prescription for me. Included in this is a diet which I have followed to the letter. I have to say that I attribute how well I feel (and the fact I have lost weight despite being on steroids) , not to mention my gorgeous wife who has also prepared meals and our whole family diet accordingly. Anyone in a similar situation, I can only say look up canceractive.com ... I can only say it has helped me enormously. Chris will do a personal prescription for everyone and his small fee goes into further research and development. As for the diet ... you do seriously get used to soya butter and milk believe me.

My wife Sara, children (both here and in Australia) and family have also been awesome. Our 'cancer free' meals prepared by Sara each and every day have meant it has been a pleasure not a chore to follow the diet. Also my employers (MCC ... I hate to use that term as they are so much more than that) and my friends not to mention those in the cricket family both here, in India and Australia in particular have given me untold strength. The offers to travel with me to other parts of the world (and bring them here) to seek assistance if required and to all those who have offered help based on their own experiences and those oif their family members has been just simply overwhelming.

My good mate (as the children call him Uncle Dave) and the calls and texts from so many people have just lifted and inspired me. The warm hug from the Pavilion Steward Saturday wishing me luck as I finished tidying my office brings tears to my eyes. I have refrained from naming people ... I love you all dearly... I can however name my wife who has been just unbelievable. And to my children I love you more than life itself.

Ooops I almost forgot ... not really.. my amazing medical team. They are always upbeat and ready to laugh but above all professional and the best there is. Thanks guys for the KFC by the way during my last peiod of hospitalization ... after a few days in hospital sneaking a KFC at the 'nurses staition' with you was just as they say 'what the doctor ordered'. After all that chat re the diet one piece didnt hurt I'm sure so to everyone... at the expense of being 'gushy' .. thank you! As Jeff Fenech once said 'I love yous all'

So I do get by with a little help from friends and although I will be in isolation for the next few weeks I look forward to the emails to keep me going.

No comments:

Post a Comment