Tuesday 24 February 2009

Stem Cell Transplant - Day One

Thankfully I continue to be in the minority and have had another good day. Today I received a high dose of chemo plus any number of drugs designed to be address the side effects. Fortunately for me they have worked and my 'dream' run through this illness continues.

I am very comfortable with minimal nausea etc and can look to tomorrow when my stem cells are returned.... at precisely 1:30pm ... 24 hours after the chemo.

I thought that perhaps today had been jinxed. After being 'prepped' (both tablet and infused through my hickman line which I must say is working a treat!) various reports came in that 'they' were having trouble mixing the chemo. Apparently it kept crystalising and after the third batch was pronounced a dud I thought this is all turning out bad. Finally it arrived (just after I had eaten lunch which I also thought was bad timing and would end up in disaster as Mr Nausea was due to arrive shortly after) and away we went. I passed the time watching another episode of 24 with Sara by my side and by sucking on ice blocks. This is designed to assist with the mouth ... I hadnt read about this procedure before in other blogs.... was it just to keep me quiet :)

Sara left shortly after concerned that perhaps the side effects would kick in just after she left however some 5-6 hours later I am doing fine and looking to tomorrow. I can detect a sore throat approaching but perhaps I am imagining it. Not much else to report. A quiet uneventful day and hey some great quality time again with Sara. I was 'skyped' into the family dinner tonight and it was great to share that with the aid of modern technology.

I have continued to read the latest press particularly with respect to the cricket of course. I won't mention the current fiasco ... as much as I would like to. I have also just re-read the wonderful cards presented to me from the MCC staff which the ever thoughtful Rachel coordinated and had laminated. I am so lucky in so many ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment