Wednesday 25 February 2009

Stem Cell Transplant - Day Two

Another positive day thankfully although Mr Nausea did come and pay a visit.

After such a dream run yesterday, following the chemo, last night was not such a breeze. Felt quite sick and it was very difficult to sleep at all. Also no matter how good the hickman line is it still gets caught at times during the night given it is (or should I say I am) attached to the mobile drip, the intermittent pain from a it tugging or pulling tends to wake from time to time and feels like it is being torn from your chest. That all sounds like I am moaning ... its not that bad but just annoying and in tandem with the nausea and lack of sleep didnt make for a great night. I was told the gentleman next to me (who from the sound of things is not having as easy run as I am) has had his in for close to a year ... I am hopeful of getting the bloody thing out as soon as it can be removed! ... but for now it is a integral part of the treatment so mr hickman you are welcome to stay a little longer.

The stem cell transplant was scheduled for 1:30pm today. This morning was quiet ... I couldnt face breakfast or lunch ... half a crumpet was all I could eat and when my grilled haddock arrived for lunch (my stomach is turning now as I think about it ... I am sure it was nice but I just wasnt up to it) Sara removed it from the room. The way I feel right now it will be a little while before I can face fish again.

The pre treatment for the actual transplant included a shot of paracetemol and some more anti nausea drugs which helped enormously. The transplant itself was very successful as far as I could tell and painless etc. The frozen stem cells arrived in a nitic oxide container (like just out of the movies) ... frozen.... and are then placed in what looked like a combination of a slow cooker and casserole dish (to be defrosted)... aluminium ... be a great gadget for the kitchen! I love gadgets.

So with all the checks and balances done and my brilliant nurse Michael aided by a student nurse and another who performed the various checks... three bags of my stem cells (taken from me nearly ten days ago) were 'tranplanted'. The stem cells are in a clear plastic bag ... light red in colour (duh its blood of course Keith) and fed intravenously through the hickman line. The only uncomfortable part of this (aside from the unknown ... Michael was taking my blood pressure and heartrate every 5 minutes) was a need to go to the bathroom. Dont laugh and dont be grossed out reading this .. just stating the facts... reason... this morning when weighed I had put on nearly 3 kilos since arriving !! Fluid retention ... the diretics I was given late morning had kicked in ... but they work! Boy do they work .. Ok enough of that but I am trying to put down exactly what happens in case it is of some use to a fellow myeloma 'buddy'. I was always under the impression I would lose heaps of weight and I guess I probably will but to put on so much so quickly was a shock.

The last fact is the sweet corn factor. The preservatives mixed with the stem cells give off a strong sweet corn odour... apparently I also now smell of sweet corn as does my room. Michael just told me the smell has got to the student nurse who had a headache and hasnt come back since. Also my room now stinks of sweet corn.. Sorry.

So there it is for today... sorry for the typos etc.. will fix them later. I am tired ... happy to have made it past the next step ... I have made it again with my beautiful wife Sara by my side who is such a mountain of support... just incredible and awesome. I was the worst company this morning... just really couldnt have a conversation etc as was hit by the visit from Mr Nausea etc. Thank you darling for being there... and I am not talking to you Mr Nausea!

2 comments:

  1. Keith congrats on day two, sorry Mr. Nausea showed up. I hope the rest of your day goes smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing an amazing job with this blog, Keith. When you are feeling so off with the treatment, to be able to describe in detail each step, is pretty brave, too. And it's also very interesting. Thank you for taking the time to write it all down. We're with you all the way.
    from Shirley & Michael.

    ReplyDelete